Would you like to work on a team transforming lives through homeownership while working at a fast-paced, exceptionally diverse, non-profit social enterprise? Acts Housing is a place where every individual’s contributions are honored and where there is significant opportunity for personal and professional growth as the organization rapidly expands to meet the needs of our communities.
Position Summary: The HR Shared Services Director leads and develops a team that supports the human resources, accounting, information technology, payroll, and administrative functions. Under direction of the Chief Operating Officer, this person provides a variety of support services across the organization to ensure effective systems and interdepartmental operations.
This role is 50% HR with the remainder being general or operationally focused. This person should be willing and excited to help the organization in a wide variety of ways. This role requires onsite work at the Acts Housing offices in Milwaukee and Beloit.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with senior leadership to understand and implement the organization's goals and strategy related to staffing, recruiting, retention, attendance, benefits plans, employee relations, and professional development.
- Supervise 2 administrative employees and ensure that strong support is provided to the operations of the Agency.
- Manage and optimize relationships with a variety of vendors including the PEO (Benefits, Payroll, Time and Attendance, HRIS), IT Support Company, and Grounds / Facilities Maintenance Contractors.
- Recommend employee benefits that will attract and retain employees, while balancing the budget and management of benefits offered.
- Ensure adequate operational and technical support services are provided to employees. This includes helping employees troubleshoot basic technical / IT issues prior to escalating the issue to the IT service provider.
- Manage employee relations to provide a positive employee and manager experience by addressing efficiencies, building relationships, monitoring engagement, and maintaining a healthy organizational culture.
- Establish, review, monitor and periodically update policies and procedures for accounting, human resources, and administration.
- Responsible for the support and systems administration for payroll, performance reviews, goals, merit pay, and incentives.
- Research and recommend compensation strategy and total rewards packages to attract and retain employees.
- Strategize, direct vendors, and oversee recruitment including writing job descriptions, setting pay ranges, sourcing candidates, establishing interview processes, conducting reference checks, and negotiating offers,
- Onboard new hires, including maintaining employee files to ensure compliance.
- Develop and translate policies into operational processes incorporating best practices to ensure their effective implementation (IE COVID protocol).
- Support financial and operational audits, implementing corrective measures required to maintain adequate controls.
- Oversee grounds and facilities maintenance and renovation projects.
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or related field or five (5) or more years’ experience as an HR professional required. Experience working as the “solo” HR person required.
- Five (5) years of combined experience in managing full-service human resources department and/or administering HR policies and programs.
- Three (3) years supervisory experience required.
- Ability to work 4 days per week in Milwaukee office and 1 day per week in Beloit office.
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM SCP or other professional certification in human resources a plus.
- Strong computer skills including basic IT troubleshooting, Microsoft Office Suite, and HR and Payroll Systems.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems; experience managing files and records, and other office tasks.
- Experience managing vendors, contractors, and repair projects.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, and coordination of people and resources.
- HR management in a social services or related organization of similar size and diversity of programs.
- Knowledge of general business operations; ability to balance the needs of employees with organizational needs.
About Acts Housing:
Over its 26-year history, Acts housing has helped more than 3,000 low-to-moderate income families achieve homeownership; 950 of those families reclaimed distressed properties with Acts' support. Acts' full suite of homeownership services makes it a nationally recognized leader in homeownership, with significant demand both from our neighbors and community stakeholders to do even more to support new and existing markets. In 2021 alone, Acts supported more than 270 families to transition from renters to owners (a 50% increase over our prior best year ever!).
Acts is a 25 person organization that is adding 12 new employees in 2022 to better meet the needs of families in the markets we currently serve (Milwaukee and Beloit) and future markets that are eager to benefit from our homeownership services.
Click on this link to watch a short 3-minute video about Acts Housing before applying.
embraces equity and inclusion. We seek a diverse pool of candidates for our open positions knowing that a team comprised of people with unique characteristics, experiences and identity allow us to better serve our communities.