2414 W. Vliet St, Milwaukee, WI 53205
Would you like to work on a team transforming lives through homeownership while working at a fast-paced, exceptionally diverse, non-profit social enterprise? Acts Housing is a place where every individuals' contributions are honored and where there is significant opportunity for personal and professional growth as the organization rapidly expands to meet the needs of our communities.
Position Summary: Acts Housing is looking to add a Homebuyer Coach to join their team in Milwaukee and in Beloit, WI that will provide guidance to prospective homeowners including those who may have problems qualifying for traditional loans and assist them in establishing good credit habits, creating and maintaining budgets, overcoming personal financial and credit obstacles and pursuing other steps towards becoming homeowners.
What You'll Do:
- Plan, direct, and coordinate activities designed to create and maintain a favorable public image or raise awareness of Acts Housing in the community, including attending community meetings and events.
- Conduct intake and orientation sessions for individuals seeking support. Coach families referred by Acts’ real estate brokers, banks, community partners and others and assess them for any applicable grant resources.
- Recommend strategies for families to meet their financial goals, such as making budget adjustments, spending plans or adhering to in debt management plans.
- Guide and explain services or policies to families, such as program rules, and the advantages and disadvantages of using services to help determine the best type of loan.
- Manage Acts’ down payment and closing cost grant programs by providing timely production reports to appropriate personnel.
- Provide assistance to families in obtaining grants through AHP, DPP, HCRI, and other programs as requested.
What We're Looking for:
Benefits & Perks:
- 1+ years of demonstrated success within the housing, credit counseling, non-profit, human services, financial services or banking industry
- Must have the ability to become HUD certified within 6 months of employment
- Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree within a relevant discipline is desired. Individuals that have relevant experience and/or are currently HUD Certified can be considered in lieu of degree
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and proactively identify relevant issues to management by using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Strong technical skills, experience working in MS Office, Google Suite, and other “Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Software” programs, such as Salesforce, are needed
- Superior case, project, and time management skills are a must
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Valid driver’s license and insured vehicle
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs
- All Acts Housing employees must be Covid-19 vaccinated
About Acts Housing: Over its 26-year history, Acts housing has helped more than 3,000 low-to-moderate income families achieve homeownership; 950 of those families reclaimed distressed properties with Acts' support. Acts' full suite of homeownership services makes it a nationally recognized leader in homeownership, with significant demand both from our neighbors and community stakeholders to do even more to support new and existing markets. In 2021 alone, Acts supported more than 270 families to transition from renters to owners (a 50% increase over our prior best year ever!).
- Paid Time Off (15+ days based on tenure) plus 12 Paid Holidays and 4 Personal Half Days
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance (United Healthcare)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 401(k) with 3% Company Match
- Welfare Benefits Plan - term life, personal accident, and disability insurance
- Voluntary Life and Personal Accident Insurance
- Adoption Assistance Program
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption Leave
- Paid Bereavement Leave
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Payroll Direct Deposit and Debit Card Options
- Access to online library of 3,000 courses and 20,000 digital books
- Discounts to various goods and services via the Insperity MarketPlace
Acts is a dynamic and growing organization that is adding new employees in 2022 to better meet the needs of families in the markets we currently serve (Milwaukee and Beloit) and future markets that are eager to benefit from our homeownership services.
Acts Housing Homeownership Acquisition Program:
Milwaukee is losing 1,000 homeowners of Color every year, a pace that has persisted over the past decade. This terrible trend for neighborhood stability has been driven by absentee investor owners who are buying up large swaths of single-family homes and turning them into permanent (and often poorly maintained) rentals. The Acts Housing Homeownership Acquisition program will disrupt the absentee investor owner business model by outcompeting them for the best homes, making these homes available to low-to-moderate income (LMI) families for owner occupancy.
Acts Housing was incorporated in 1995 to empower families of LMI through homeownership. For Acts' first 15 years, its services included homebuyer coaching, real estate brokerage services, and home rehab support. In the aftermath of the foreclosure crisis, when banks simply would not lend to families to help purchase and rehab distressed, foreclosed homes, Acts filled the void, forming Acts Lending, a nonprofit lending affiliate in 2013. Now, faced with the growing land grab by predatory investors, Acts is prepared to innovate yet again, forming this new social enterprise to further its mission.
Because of Acts' commitment to its mission, the organizational culture often feels more like a start-up than a nonprofit. The Real Estate Acquisition Program is a new service line led by Dorothy York (who served as Acts' COO for five years before accepting the position of VP Real Estate). This department will operate at a fast pace alongside complimentary programming including homebuyer coaching, Acts Lending, and home rehab coaching. With a goal of acquiring 100 properties per year by 2023, candidates that are brought onto the team can expect both challenges and the incredible reward of helping families access affordable, stable, sustainable housing.
Click on this link to watch a short 3-minute video about Acts Housing before applying.
Acts Housing embraces equity and inclusion. We seek a diverse pool of candidates for our open positions knowing that a team comprised of people with unique characteristics, experiences and identity allow us to better serve our communities.