Real Estate Director
2414 W. Vliet St, Milwaukee, WI 53205
Would you like to work on a team transforming lives through homeownership while working at a fast-paced, exceptionally diverse, non-profit social enterprise? Acts Housing is a place where every individual’s contributions are honored and where there is significant opportunity for personal and professional growth as the organization rapidly expands to meet the needs of our communities.
The Real Estate Director is a key executive on the Acts Housing team that spearheads single family and duplex property acquisition in support of Acts Housing’s Homeownership Acquisition Fund. A successful Real Estate Director will manage team leaders to help Acts Housing sustainably purchase and make available for affordable homeownership properties that otherwise would be purchased or remain owned by predatory investors. The Real Estate Director plans, directs, and coordinates the buying, selling, and management activities of Acts Housing Homeownership Acquisition Fund and manages Acts Housing’s real estate associates. This position plays a key role in the creation and optimization of processes and procedures that, combined with long-range strategic planning, will help maximize the organization’s future potential to help families achieve affordable, sustainable homeownership.
What You'll Do:
What We're Looking For:
- Oversee all aspects of residential property acquisition and management from purchase to final disposition
- Negotiate purchase agreements and contracts with buyers and sellers
- Recommends appropriate alterations, maintenance and reconditioning to acquired real estate based on independent reviews and assessments
- Design policies, procedures, and practices to enable Acts to meet its acquisition fund goals
- Use independent discretion to quickly assess properties for suitability for the acquisition fund
- Create and analyze key performance indicators and metrics for forecasting and planning
- Contracts for and supervises vendor services as required
- Coach the sales and other Homeownership Acquisition Fund staff to ensure they accomplish their objectives, feel supported, and have a development plan
- Plan, prioritize, and delegate when appropriate and coach others do the same
- Communicate effectively orally (including periodic public presentation/speeches) and in writing
- Provide training and professional development assistance/guidance for real estate associates
- Develop and maintain a brokerage procedures manual and ensure it clearly discloses the rules and office policies of the brokerage and is read and acknowledged by all real estate associates
- Demonstrate strong leadership by aligning real estate strategy and evolution with business strategies, products, and people
- Hold regular office meetings with real estate associates engaged by the brokerage
- Take reasonable steps to address any matter of unprofessional, conduct
- Ensure that the trust accounts and records of the brokerage are maintained in accordance the Real Estate Services Regulations.
Benefits & Perks:
- Possess excellent communication and computer skills
- Demonstrated abilities in a variety of real estate areas such as: planning, financial analysis, project/construction management and transaction management
- Five years related work experience in real estate or similar field
- Successfully demonstrate the ability to lead a team, teach, and mentor
About Acts Housing:
- Paid Time Off (15+ days based on tenure) plus 12 Paid Holidays and 4 Personal Half Days
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance (United Healthcare)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 401(k) with 3% Company Match
- Welfare Benefits Plan - term life, personal accident, and disability insurance
- Voluntary Life and Personal Accident Insurance
- Adoption Assistance Program
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption Leave
- Paid Bereavement Leave
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Payroll Direct Deposit and Debit Card Options
- Access to online library of 3,000 courses and 20,000 digital books
- Discounts to various goods and services via the Insperity MarketPlace
Over its 26-year history, Acts housing has helped more than 3,000 low-to-moderate income (LMI) families achieve homeownership; 950 of those families reclaimed distressed properties with Acts' support. Acts' full suite of homeownership services makes it a nationally recognized leader in homeownership, with significant demand both from our neighbors and community stakeholders to do even more to support new and existing markets. In 2021 alone, Acts supported more than 270 families to transition from renters to owners (a 50% increase over our prior best year ever!).
Acts is a dynamic and growing organization that is adding new employees in 2022 to better meet the needs of families in the markets we currently serve (Milwaukee and Beloit) and future markets that are eager to benefit from our homeownership services.
Acts Housing Homeownership Acquisition Program:
Milwaukee is losing 1,000 homeowners of Color every year, a pace that has persisted over the past decade. This terrible trend for neighborhood stability has been driven by absentee investor owners who are buying up large swaths of single-family homes and turning them into permanent (and often poorly maintained) rentals. The Acts Housing Homeownership Acquisition program will disrupt the absentee investor owner business model by outcompeting them for the best homes, making these homes available to low-to-moderate income (LMI) families for owner occupancy.
Acts Housing was incorporated in 1995 to empower families of LMI through homeownership. For Acts' first 15 years, its services included homebuyer coaching, real estate brokerage services, and home rehab support. In the aftermath of the foreclosure crisis, when banks simply would not lend to families to help purchase and rehab distressed, foreclosed homes, Acts filled the void, forming Acts Lending, a nonprofit lending affiliate in 2013. Now, faced with the growing land grab by predatory investors, Acts is prepared to innovate yet again, forming this new social enterprise to further its mission.
Because of Acts' commitment to its mission, the organizational culture often feels more like a start-up than a nonprofit. The Real Estate Acquisition Program is a new service line led by Dorothy York (who served as Acts' COO for five years before accepting the position of VP Real Estate). This department will operate at a fast pace alongside complimentary programming including homebuyer coaching, Acts Lending, and home rehab coaching. With a goal of acquiring 100 properties per year by 2023, candidates that are brought onto the team can expect both challenges and the incredible reward of helping families access affordable, stable, sustainable housing.
Click on this link to watch a short 3-minute video about Acts Housing before applying.
embraces equity and inclusion. We seek a diverse pool of candidates for our open positions knowing that a team comprised of people with unique characteristics, experiences and identity allow us to better serve our communities.