Job Title: President (Digital Media/Publishing/Events Industry)
Company: Open Sky Media
Work Location: Austin, TX or San Antonio, TX
Work Format: Full-time, work location can be onsite or hybrid
Summary: The mission of the President and Group Publisher is to lead Open Sky Media by strategically managing the staff, product innovation, and business growth and by actively representing all the businesses in the community and assisting with revenue creation.
This position is available due to a retirement. It's a great opportunity to lead a team of tenured professionals in a growing organization! Long-term, this person will have the opportunity to take on additional responsibilities as CEO. The position will have around 4 direct reports within the organization of 27 people.
We are open to candidates who have experience in this type of role as well as candidates where this would be a "step up." Experience in publishing, advertising, events, or other closely related industry is required, however. Candidates must be located in or willing to relocate to the Austin or San Antonio, TX area.
What You'll Do:
What We're Looking For:
- Set the strategy and exhibit effective leadership skills for the overall company
- Establish goals and management for all departments and be the primary driver of business development and the events business
- Seek new revenue opportunities and support advertising sales program; Inspire staff to work collaboratively to produce relevant, substantive events, high-quality publications, and digital products
- Create and track annual budgets; Make sure business operations run smoothly
- Develop relationships with key community leaders
- Foster professional standards for staff and superior customer relations and stay abreast of the latest advancements in all facets of media
- Hire and manage a high-performing team; coach new team members and remove poor performers
- Lead annual review of all products to create best-in-class publications and maintain market dominance
- Develop strong relationships with the top 20 customers and develop new business partnership opportunities
- Manage business to maintain greater than 55% gross margin and greater than 15% net margin
- Be active in the community representing all the products and forming and maintaining meaningful partnerships
- 5+ years of experience in print or digital publishing, media, and/or events industry required
- 2+ years of experience in a similar role or as a key member of a leadership team
- Bachelor's degree in related field desired
- Strong background in sales and marketing desired
- Experience developing and leading a high performing team to achieve strategic goals and financial targets
Benefits & Perks:
- First Principle Thinker: has ability to address problems and strategic opportunities in creative ways while incorporating different viewpoints.
- Entrepreneurial Minded: able to look at marketplace in unique ways to identify opportunities to monetize the business’s resources to their fullest extent.
- Natural Coach: has a strong eye for team talent and the ability to bring out the best in a team.
- Proactive: acts intelligently without being told what to do. Offers new ideas.
- Enthusiasm: exhibits passion and excitement for work. Encourages others.
- Honesty/Integrity: does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Lives up to agreements.
- Organization/Planning: plans, organizes, schedules and handles paperwork in an efficient manner. Focuses on key priorities. Does not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Communication: speaks and writes clearly and respectfully.
- Teamwork: works in a collaborative manner with other departments.
- Culture: fits within the culture of a company -- treats others with honesty and respect, shares key information with other employees, stays calm in stressful situations and keeps the focus on the customer.
About the Company:
- Medical and Dental Insurance available
- Unlimited PTO - everyone is encouraged to use at least 20 days of vacation!
- Office Closed for 14 Holidays and Between Christmas and New Years
- Birthday Gift + Take the Day Off
- 401(k) Retirement Savings
- Group Term Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
Open Sky Media is an integrated media and marketing company with over 25 employees. Focused on digital, events, and print media, they serve Texas the best in lifestyle content and experiences. You can find more information about the company at https://openskymediainc.com/
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Candidates must be fully authorized to work within the United States on a permanent basis. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
keywords: president, ceo, chief executive officer, group publisher, publishing, editor, digital marketing, digital media, advertising, event management, events, magazines, publications, print media, sponsorships